Tax Rebate

Get tax and money saving tips with TaxBananas FREE email guides

Terms and Conditions is your FREE guide to tax. Helping you pay the right tax and to save money!

We are proud to be supporting the NSPCC

Tax Refund - NI Refunds for Self Employed

Home > Tax Refund > NI Refunds > For TheSelf Employed

National Insurance for the Self Employed

If you are self-employed and you make Class 2 National Insurance contributions, you may have paid too much if your profits are less than a certain amount (£5,595 in 2012-13), or if you are over state pension age. If you have been employed and self-employed in the same tax year, and making different kinds of National Insurance contributions, you may have overpaid.

If you are self-employed and you make Class 4 National Insurance contributions, you may have overpaid if you are over the state pension age, or if you have paid on earnings that have already had Class 1 NI deducted, or if your profits are over a certain amount (£42,475 in 2012).

Other reasons for overpayment of NI contributions include making voluntary Class 2 or Class 3 contributions when living abroad.

In many cases HMRC will contact you directly to say that you have overpaid Class 1 or Class 2 contributions. However, if you think you have overpaid National Insurance and are due a National Insurance refund you can contact HMRC directly.

For More Information See ... is here to provide you with FREE independent tax information to help you save money and pay the right amount of tax. does not provide tax advice and the information provided is to help give people a better understanding and does not constitute tax advice.

find TaxBanana on facebook  follow TaxBanana on twitter  Google+

© copyright, 2012. All Rights Reserved. About Us | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Sitemap | Top of Page ^